lunedì, settembre 25, 2006

Dad, 25, in bridge plunge

Dad, 25, in bridge plunge
Shaun Richards
Shaun Richards

A FORMER soldier looked on in horror as his best friend threw himself to his death from a bridge in Taunton.

Dan Brown was on his knees begging with Shaun Richards not to jump from Obridge Viaduct.

But Dan and several police watched helplessly as 25-year-old Shaun - from Rocketts Cottages, Creech St Michael - plunged 50 feet to his death at around 3am last Thursday.

Shortly before, Shaun left a distraught voice message on his mother's mobile saying that he could no longer carry on because he was unable to see his children regularly.

He also texted Dan, who took a taxi to search for Shaun and spotted him dangling over the edge of the viaduct.

Dan said: "I begged him - I was literally on my knees pleading with him for ten minutes, but there was nothing I could say.

"I was 15-20ft from him. He was saying how much he loved everybody and couldn't cope without his children.

"I was in pure shock when he jumped. I didn't know what to do.

"I was with the Army in Kosovo, but not even that could prepare me for what happened."

The two men and another friend had spent last Wednesday evening in town on a lads' night out.

"Shaun had given me no reason to believe there was a problem, but when he texted me he said he loved me like a brother and I went to look for him," added Dan. "He was a brilliant lad, with a heart of gold who would do anything for anybody."

Shaun's brother, Christopher, arrived on the scene soon afterwards.

In his message to his parents, Graham and Debra, Shaun sobbed uncontrollably as he told them that he loved them but was unable to cope with not seeing his stepdaughter, Skye, five, and son, Leo, one.

He said: "I really can't take any more. Whatever I'm going to do I'm sorry.

"I love you so much and don't want to die, but I've got no choice. I can't take the pain any more. I love you. Bye."

Shaun split with his partner of 3 years in July - the couple lived to-gether in Surrey - and was upset at not seeing his children as often as he wanted.

Shaun's mother said of her son this week: "He was very caring.

"He once drove through the night to be at our bedside when we were very poorly a few years ago, but he hid his own pain.

"He had plenty of friends and had everything going for him."

And his dad Graham added: "You couldn't help but like Shaun.

"If you were talking to him about a problem he'd pick you up and make you smile."

Shaun, who had two brothers and a sister, was brought up in Monkton Heathfield, and attended Heathfield Community School and Bridgwater College, working for Taunton Fruit and Langdon's be-fore moving to Surrey to work for an electrical wholesaler.

A police spokesman said officers tried unsuccessfully to talk Shaun out of jumping on to the towpath beside the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal.

An inquest - opened and adjourned on Tuesday - heard that Shaun died from multiple injuries.

His funeral will be held at 2.30pm tomorrow (Fri-day) at West Monkton Parish Church.

3:07pm Thursday 21st September 2006